By Dr. Ajit
The other big issue that affects many of us in winter is joint pain and stiffness/tightness in the muscles and ligaments. Those who suffer from arthritis also start feeling more pain as this ailment can be worse in winter. In an effort to overcome these problems many of us look to products like Glucosamine or various multi-vitamins to ease some symptoms but still don’t get much relief. Whereas Ayurveda gives us a simple answer as to why we don’t get relief from such products and what one can to do to minimise these problems:
• One simple and effective solution for those who suffer from arthritis and joint pain is to start massaging these joints with warm oil. You can use either cold pressed black sesame oil or and ayurvedic medicated oil such as Asthi Care oil every night. The reason why oil is more effective is that during winter, muscles and ligaments start becoming stiff and tight so the application of warm oil brings more lubrication and assists in the expansion and contraction of muscles and ligaments, which helps to minimise pain.
• You must use hot water bottle in bed.
• Avoid eating cold, damp, moist food such as:
- Peanut butter
- Cold drinks
• Use spices such as turmeric, ginger and black pepper in cooking
• Eat warm food
• Eat linseed and sesame seeds with raisins each day.
• If the pain is more intense apply Arth Oil after your warm oil massage as it will ease the pain very quickly.
Ayurvedic herbal products that are effective to counter arthritis and joint pain: