Vegetarian Chick Pea Flour Pancakes
By Rippan Sandhu
Not a Master chef but want to give mum a break from the kitchen this Mother’s Day? We’ve got just the perfect recipe for you. Enjoy this light and healthy recipe which is deceivingly easy to make and incredibly delicious!
Prep Time – 10 mins
Cook Time – 5 mins
Total Time – 15 mins
Chick Pea Flour- 250gms (also known as Chana flour available in Indian grocery stores)
1 - Onion (finely chopped)
Salt – as per taste
1 tsp - Cumin seeds
¼ tsp - Turmeric
1-2 cups - Water
Oil/ghee for cooking
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. In a large bowl mix flour, onion, salt, ajwain, turmeric & cumin seeds.
2. Add water & mix well to make a batter, ensuring no lumps of flour remain.
3. Heat tawa or non stick pan and drizzle on 1 teaspoon of ghee.
4. Spoon 2-3 tbsp of batter onto pan and spread to make a pancake.
5. Shallow fry for about ½ minute.
6. Flip over and cook on other side for ½ minute.
7. Spoon a little more oil or ghee on the sides of the pancake to make it crisp.
8. Flip it one more time and cook for about 10 seconds.
9. Serve hot with chutney.
Special instruction - Use enough Ghee (clarified butter) or oil to shallow fry, using less oil will make pancake very dry and heavy to digest.