Masala Chai Recipe
By Rippan Sandhu
2 whole cloves
2 green cardamom pods ( available at Indian grocery stores)
1 inch cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
3 cups water Fennel seeds
3-4 fresh ginger slices.
1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1⁄2 cup milk
2 tablespoons organic sugar
2 tablespoons black tea (decaf is best)
1. In a mortar, crush the green cardamom pod, fennel seeds and cinnamon stick, or coarse grind in coffee grinder.
2. In a saucepan put 3 cups of water, add crushed spices, ginger slices, fennel seeds and black pepper and bring to a boil for good 2-3 minutes.
3. Add milk and boil. Add sugar as needed.
4. Add tea leaves and let it come to full boil stirring in between if needed.
5. Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
6. Strain the chai into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.