Get ready for the Holidays
By Dr. Ajit
The liver is one of the most important organs of the body, as any imbalances there causes indigestion, high cholesterol, fatigue, and constipation. Ayurveda considers the liver the seat of Pitta, which governs the metabolism and the body’s ability to break down nutrients from your food. This is a great time to do a mini-cleanse for your liver – especially with the holidays coming up, with all its heavy foods and drinks!
Here is our simple guide to cleansing your liver this holiday season.
• Every morning, scrape your tongue to remove waste products that accumulate overnight (otherwise they will be re-absorbed)
• Every morning, drink warm water with 1tsp of honey, 1/2 tsp of grated ginger, ½ tsp of powdered fennel and a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice to flush out toxins from the digestive tract.
• Avoid heavy foods that place pressure on the metabolism, like red meat, cheese, tinned foods, peanut and almond butter, carbonated drinks, coffee and alcohol and fried and fatty foods like fish and chips.
• Eat warm, light foods that are easy to digest. Consider lentils and Paneer (a form of cheese) as light protein replacements for meat.
• Use spices like cumin, turmeric, fennel and coriander in your cooking.
• Eat with a calm mind.
Enjoy your cleanse and let us know how you go!