Energizing Summer Drink
By Rippan Sandhu
Try this wonderfully energizing summer drink packed with goodness.
⅓ cup raw whole almonds
3 tbsp poppy seeds
2 tbsp raw cashew halves
1½ tbsp raw shelled pistachios
4 cups whole milk
1½ cups sugar tsp fennel seeds
10x black peppercorns
10x green cardamom pods
A few strands of saffron (optional)
20x rose petals, plus more for garnish
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg to garnish
1. Soak almonds and pistachios in 2 cups of water and leave overnight, then remove and discard skins from the nuts.
2. Soak seeds and cashews in 1 cup of water for 2-3 hours prior to making the thandai. Drain nuts and seeds and set aside.
3. Bring milk to a full boil in a heavy saucepan. Add sugar and saffron, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then set aside.
4. Dry roast the fennel, peppercorns & cardamom in a small pan over medium heat until fragrant (about 3-4 minutes). Let cool slightly.
5. Transfer spices to a food processor along with the nut mixture (from step 1 & 2),
- add 1-2 tbsp of the milk mixture (from step 3) and the rose petals.
- Puree to a smooth paste.
- Whisk paste into the rest of the milk mixture and strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on solids.
6. Refrigerate strained milk mixture until chilled. Stir and divide between serving glasses. Garnish with grated nutmeg and rose petals.
Enjoy and don't forget to share it with your friends!
Rippan and the Ayurda team