Delicious Kitchari Recipe for Winter!
By Rippan Sandhu
This delicious recipe is perfect for a cold winter morning's breakfast or a mid day snack!
¾ cup split yellow ‘mung’ dal
⅔ cup basmati rice 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
2 teaspoons cumin seed 1
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (hing-optional available at indian grocery stores
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 bay leaves
1 quart (4 cups) water
Salt to taste
1. Rinse the mung beans and rice together under running water until the water runs clear.
2. In a 3-quart or larger heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, heat the ghee over medium heat.
3. Add the mustard and toast until they pop. Add the asafoetida, ginger, tumeric, and cumin and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. 4. Add the dal and rice and stir until they are coated with the spice mixture.
5. Add the water and bay leaves to the mixture and bring to a boil.
6. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover.
7. Cook until the dal and rice are soft and mushy (risotto type consistency), approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Drizzle a spoon of ghee on top and serve warm with chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Serves – 4-6 people